Monday, September 30, 2013

Philippine Polymer Clay Guild "Under the Sea Challenge

This September, the Philippine Polymer Clay guild revealed another one of their challenges named "Under the Sea". The challenge is to create a project inspired by the sea.


Challenge Cover
 I have always loved ocean-themed pieces. And for this challenge, I decided to go back to something I really love doing - Steampunk! Inspired by Jules Vernes' 20,000 leagues under the sea novel. I decided to do an underwater scene with the Nautilus exploring the ocean floor, discovering the mysteries of the sea.

First, I conceptualized a design for my entry.

Concept drawing of my piece
Then I started doing the elements of the bracelet. I started with a background of foil and alcohol inks and made my own polymer clay bezels. Then I hand-sculpted the steampunk octopus extending his arms all throughout the panel, injected the submarine, and incorporated metal findings with designs of a fish and starfish (I also tinted it with alcohol inks) and watch gears.

Raw panels of the bracelet

I finished the bracelet with a coat of UV Resin then assembled it with glass beads.

I named this piece DEEP SEA DELIGHT.



Deep Sea Delight Bracelet

To quote Jules Verne: "The sea is the vast reservoir of Nature. But at thirty feet below its level, their reign ceases, their influence quenched, and their power disappears. Ah! sir, live--live in the bosom of the waters! There only is independence! There I recognise no masters! There I am free!"

Fortunately, I was one of the winners of this challenge. Ms. Marie Segal, an internationally-renowned Polymer Clay Artist, was invited by the Guild to judge.


Letter by Ms. Marie Segal to the Philippine Polymer Clay Guild challenge participants
 Please visit our Guild's facebook page to view all of the wonderful pieces made by our members at:

No comments:

Post a Comment