Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Philippine Polymer Clay Guild Steampunk Heart Challenge

To celebrate the month of love, the Philippine Polymer Clay Guild posted a Steampunk Heart Challenge.


But first, what is steampunk?
"Steampunk has always been first and foremost a literary genre, or least a subgenre of science fiction and fantasy that includes social or technological aspects of the 19th century (the steam) usually with some deconstruction of, reimagining of, or rebellion against parts of it (the punk)..."
  - excerpt from http://www.steampunk.com/what-is-steampunk/


This is my interpretation of the steampunk heart. Taking inspiration from Jules Verne's 20,000 Leagues under the Sea. I called this "Kraken on Capt. Nemo's Heart Submarine".


Front Portion of the Pendant


I used a glass cabochon to simulate a ship's porthole with watch gears inside. Then added a blue kraken trying to attack the sub. I also incorporated some rusted screws to finish the effect.


I love copper patina! I tried to simulate that finish with mica powders, chalk pastels and inka gold.


Back Portion of the Pendant


I enjoyed this challenge very much and I can see myself be obsessed with this for the weeks to come.


Watch out for more claying adventures!

2 comments: